stripes

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Easy DIY Yarn PomPoms

I am currently planning my son's 1st birthday party. He was born on Valentine's Day of 2013 and this party will be all hearts and love. I am sure he will never let me do a Valentine's themed party again. So I have to do it while I can.
I am making all of my own decorations to make sure everything is super cute plus it is cheaper. There will be several different types of garlands, one of which will be pompoms. I went with red and white yarn and will be stringing my pompom garland from the branches of my fruitless mulberry tree. I have about a month and several crafts to complete, so I was searching on Pinterest for easy ways to make pompoms. The best idea was to use a fork, but even that took way too long. So I improvised and came up with my own way that produced a great looking pompom and takes much less time.
Materials:
Yarn
Scissors
Two hands
First cut about a 6 in piece of yarn. Put it in-between your index and middle finger of your non dominant hand. In my case, it is my left.Image
Take the yarn and start wrapping it about the middle of the index and middle fingers. Don't wrap too tight. Keep wrapping until you have a nice little mound of yarn wrapped around the two fingers.
Image
Image
After you have finished wrapping the yarn, take the 6 in string and tie a knot around the middle. I find it easiest to tie a quick fairly-tight knot and then slide off your fingers and tie it as tight as possible.
Image
Image
After the knot is secure, take a pair of scissors and cut the loops on each side of the knot. Make sure to not cut the string that forms the knot.
Image
You can trim the pompom to make it all uniform or leave it a little more whimsical and fun. Then string it up with a few others to make a super cute garland.
The best part is you can pretty much do this anywhere. Today I was outside watching the creature play while I made the pompoms. Yesterday I was working in bed while watching Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment