stripes

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

DIY Valentine's Button Heart Decoration

My creature was born last year on February 14 and this year I am going to make his first birthday sickeningly Valentinesy. I am trying to make all the decorations and not to procrastinate until the last minute (which is my usual MO). Tonight's project was creating couple of cute decorations to put on the walls for the party. 
Image
Materials:
Variety of buttons (I tried to make mine mostly of the red and pink variety). I found mine at Rosie's Calico Cupboard for about $4.
A canvas
Fabric to cover the canvas, also found a Rosie's
Hot glue gun
Cover your canvas with the fabric of your choice. I went with a sheet music pattern.Image
Image
I then drew a heart on the fabric with a light grey marker. 
Image
Now for the fun part, glueing on the buttons. I just poured out my buttons on the table and randomly chose them. I applied the glue to the fabric and then added the buttons. I tried to do it on the button first, but ended up with a few 2nd degree burns, so I left that method behind. I outlined the heart first and then it filled in. After the entire center was filled in I looked for gaps and areas with too much glue showing and added a 2nd layer of buttons. This not only covered up the glue areas but also added a depth to the decoration.ImageImageImage

1 comment: